API Plan 22 Cooled Flush with Strainer
API Plan 22 adds a strainer to Plan 21. Flow is routed from the discharge side of the pump, through a strainer, an orifice, and a cooler before being returned to the seal chamber. The addition of pressure gauges on either side of the strainer allows the strainer to be monitored for servicing. In dry climates, air-cooled tubing arrangements are preferred to reduce common issues associated with water cooled systems.
- Prevents orifice clogging through the addition of a strainer
- Provides cooled flush fluid to the process side of the seal
- Removes heat and flushes particulate from the seal chamber
- Reduces coking or polymerization
- Improves vapor pressure margin in the seal chamber
See page 17 of the Mechanical Seal Support Systems Applications Guide for additional details.